Young Living Essential Oils are the only essential oils that should be used for Raindrop Technique, which was developed by Gary Young, the founder of Young Living, with the aid of a Dakota Sioux Indian Chief. With so many brands of essential oils on the market, I only recommend the Young Living brand because of the company’s superior selection of plants, growing process, and special distillation, and because theirs are the highest quality of therapeutic-grade essential oils.
In addition to Raindrop Technique, I also use Young Living Essential Oils for Reflexology, as well as for their healing and cleansing benefits for the body, mind, spirit, and home.
If essential oils are new to you and because there are so many wonderful ones available, you may not know where to begin. So Young Living created its Everyday Oils Collection, which includes essential oils that provide ongoing support for your home, health, and body. The collection contains the Everyday Oils booklet and one 5-ml bottle each of the following nine essential oils and essential oil blends: Frankincense, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Purification, Panaway, Peace & Calming®, Thieves®, and Valor®. Below are suggested uses for the essential oils.
- All of the single oils may be used as dietary supplements.
- All of the oils can be applied to the Vita Flex points on the feet, added to bath water mixed with YLEO’s Bath Gel Base, applied topically or used with body and foot massage.
- All of the oils may by diffused. Diffusing allows the oils to stay suspended in the air to reduce bacteria, fungi and mold. It also freshens the air with natural fragrances, eliminating the need for synthetic, harmful air fresheners. Using the oils aromatically is an excellent way to stimulate the brain in many positive ways, as discussed below.
FRANKINCENSE (Boswellia carteri) is also known as “olibanum,” “Oil of Lebanon” or “liquid gold” in the time of Christ. It is considered the holy anointing oil and has been used in religious ceremonies for thousands of years.
- Rub on temples or place a drop on tongue and push to roof of mouth to relieve stress and sadness.
- Diffuse to increase spiritual awareness and uplift the spirit.
- Diffuse or inhale directly to stimulate the limbic system of the brain (memory and emotional center).
- Take as a dietary supplement for immune stimulation.
- Rub on skin to decrease signs of wrinkles. Studies have demonstrated DNA repair using Frankincense.
- Rub on skin to lighten age spots, decrease inflammation of acne & boils.
- Rub around orbit of the eye for improved vision.
- Anointing oil with Biblical references to protect from illness & disease.
LEMON (Citrus lemon) has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. It may serve as an insect repellent and may be beneficial for the skin. CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours.
- Use 6 drops of Lemon oil & 6 drops of Purification in a squirt bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom as an air freshener.
- Use 1-2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
- Use 1 drop of Lemon oil to add flavor to baked goods or beverages.
- For homemade lemonade, in a blender mix 2 drops of Lemon oil, 2 tablespoons of honey and two cups of pure water.
- Rub a drop on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and evenings.
- To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
- Add 2-3 drops to water and spray counter tops to sterilize them.
- Soak your dishrag overnight in water with Lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
- Add a drop of Lemon oil to your dishwasher before the wash cycle.
- Rub a drop of Lemon on your hands after using a public bathroom.
- Use a paper towel soaked with several drops to sanitize bathroom fixtures.
- Place a drop of Lemon oil on cold sores, herpes or other mouth ulcers to lessen pain and aid healing.
- Put a drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gums caused by gingivitis or tooth extraction.
- Put a drop on oily skin or acne to balance sebaceous glands (oil glands).
- Rub several drops of Lemon oil on cellulite to improve circulation and help eliminate waste from the cells.
- Rub two drops of Lemon oil topically to clear athlete’s foot.
- Rub several drops of Lemon oil on varicose veins to improve circulation and relieve pressure on the veins.
- Rub a drop on a wart morning and night until it disappears.
- Rub on butcher’s block or other cutting surfaces to disinfect.
- Put 10-15 drops of Lemon oil in each gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains and brighten the rug.
LAVENDER (Lavandula angustifolia) is the most versatile of all essential oils. Therapeutic-grade lavender has been highly regarded for the skin and clinically evaluated for its relaxing effects. It may be used to cleanse cuts, bruises and skin irritations. The fragrance is calming, relaxing and balancing — physically and emotionally.
- Rub on feet for calming.
- Rub on your pillow to help you sleep.
- Put a drop on a bee sting or insect bite to stop itching & reduce swelling.
- Put 2-3 drops on a minor burn to decrease pain.
- Drop Lavender oil on a cut to stop the bleeding.
- Mix several drops with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and use topically on eczema and dermatitis.
- To alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness, place a drop on the end of the tongue, around the naval or behind the ears.
- To stop a nosebleed, put a drop of Lavender oil on a tissue and wrap it around a small chip of ice. Push up under the base of the nose and hold.
- Rub a drop over the bridge of the nose to unblock tear ducts.
- Rub Lavender oil on dry or chapped skin.
- Rub a drop of Lavender oil on chapped or sunburned lips.
- To minimize the formation of scar tissue, massage on and around the affected area.
- Rub 2-4 drops over the armpit area to act as a deodorant.
- Put a drop between your palms and inhale deeply to help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
- Rub several drops of Lavender oil into scalp to help eliminate dandruff.
- Place a few drops on a cotton ball and place in your linen closet to scent the linens and repel moths and insects.
- Place a drop of Lavender oil in your water fountain to scent the air, kill bacteria and prolong the time between cleanings.
- Place a few drops on a wet cloth and throw into the dryer.
- Put a drop of Lavender oil on a cold sore.
- Diffuse Lavender oil to alleviate the symptoms of allergies.
- Spritz several drops of Lavender oil mixed with distilled water on a sunburn to decrease pain.
- Drop Lavender oil on a cut to clean the wound and kill bacteria.
- Apply 2-3 drops to a rash to stop the itching and heal the skin.
PEPPERMINT (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermint’s effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint’s role in affecting impaired taste and smell when inhaled. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint’s ability to improve concentration and mental accuracy. Alan Hirsch, M.D., studied peppermint’s ability to directly affect the brain’s satiety center, which triggers a sense of fullness after meals.
- Rub 1-2 drops in the palm and rub over stomach and around the navel to relieve indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea.
- Add Peppermint to herbal tea to aid in digestion and relieve heartburn.
- Massage several drops of oil on an injury to reduce inflammation.
- Apply Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area (bruised shin, put on the foot or hand) to relieve pain. If there is a cut, apply the Peppermint oil around (not on) the open wound.
- Rub several drops of oil on the bottoms of the feet to reduce fever.
- Apply Peppermint oil topically on unbroken skin to stop itching.
- For poison ivy or poison oak, apply Peppermint oil on location neat or dilute with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil.
- Inhale before & during a workout to boost your mood and reduce fatigue.
- Massage several drops on the abdomen to relieve nausea.
- To relieve a headache, rub on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (stay away from the eyes) and on the back of the neck.
- To stop hiccups, apply a drop of Peppermint oil on each side of the fifth cervical vertebra (up three notches from the base of the neck).
- Place two drops of Peppermint oil on the tongue and rub another drop under the nose to improve alertness and concentration.
- Diffuse Peppermint in the room while studying to improve concentration and accuracy. Inhale Peppermint while taking a test to improve recall.
- Rub 4 drops on chest and stomach to relieve travel sickness.
- Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue and inhale into the nose and sinuses to relieve congestion from a cold.
- Add Peppermint oil to food as a flavoring and a preservative.
- To deter rats, mice, ants or cockroaches, place two drops on a cotton ball and place along the path or point of entry for these pests.
- Mix one 15 ml. bottle of Peppermint into a 5 gals. of paint to dispel the fumes.
- Place a couple of drops in a cup of hot water and enjoy in place of coffee.
- To kill aphids, add 4-5 drops to 4 ounces of water and spray the plants.
- Drink a drop mixed in a glass of cold water to cool off on a hot day.
PURIFICATION — An antiseptic blend of Citronella (Cymbopogon nadus), lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis), melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia), lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida) and myrtle (Myrtus communis), formulated for diffusing to purify and cleanse the air and neutralize mildew, cigarette smoke and disagreeable odors.
- Diffuse Purification oil to clean the air and neutralize foul or stale odors.
- Put several drops of Purification oil on a cotton ball and place in the air vents in the home, office, hotel room or other enclosed area.
- While traveling, inhale Purification oil during flights to protect yourself from pathogens found in the recirculated air.
- Put a drop of Purification oil on insect bites to cleanse and stop the itching.
- Apply a drop of Purification oil on blemishes to clear the skin.
- Rub on the outside of a sore throat when it is first beginning.
- Rub a drop of Purification oil on a blister to cleanse and disinfect.
- Put 2 drops of Purification oil on two cotton balls and place in the toes of smelly sneakers to combat odors.
- Place a drop of Purification oil on each end of a cotton swab and place on top of your cold water humidifier to clean the air.
- Dilute Purification oil with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and swab the nasal cavity to ward off the flu.
- Spritz several drops of Purification oil mixed with water to repel insects.
- Apply Purification oil and Peppermint oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil to a cotton swab and rub just inside the ear to eliminate ear mites in cats and dogs.
PANAWAY — A blend of wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens), which has an active constituent similar to cortisone; clove (Syzygium aromaticum), which contains eugenol, used by dentists to numb gums; peppermint (Mentha piperita), which is calming for nerves; and helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), which is soothing for localized discomfort. This blend was created by Gary Young following an injury that severely tore the ligaments in his leg.
- Apply PanAway oil topically on an injured area to reduce inflammation and bruising.
- Apply PanAway oil topically to sore muscles after exercising.
- Rub a drop of PanAway oil on the temples, forehead and back of the neck to relieve a headache.
- Mix with massage oil and massage on location to stop growing pains.
- Rub 1-2 drops of PanAway oil on arthritic hands to lessen pain.
- Rub 2-3 drops at the base of the spine to relieve sciatic pain.
- For arthritic pets, massage PanAway oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable on location or a drop in the food.
PEACE & CALMING — A gentle, fragrant blend of Tangerine (Citrus nobilis), orange (Citrus sinensis), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) and blue tansy (Tanacetum annuum), specially designed for diffusing. It promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace, helping to calm tensions and uplift spirits.
- Rub 1-2 drops of Peace & Calming oil on the bottom of the feet and on the shoulders before bedtime to get good quality sleep.
- Diffuse in the room to calm overactive or hard to manage children.
- Mix with massage oil for a relaxing massage.
- Mix with Bath Gel Base in warm water for a relaxing bath.
- To help stop nocturnal teeth grinding, diffuse while sleeping.
THIEVES — A blend of highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, antiinfectious oils that includes: clove (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon (Citrus limon), cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum verum), eucalyptus (Eucalyptus radiata) and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). It is named after a band of Thieves who used essential oils to avoid the Plague while robbing the sick and dying.
- Make a Spritzer to use as a disinfectant. (Combine water and vinegar, or alcohol, with Thieves oil.)
- Diffuse to kill airborne microbes and pathogens. (Research shows a 99.96% decrease in airborne pathogens.)
- Diffuse and use directly for toxic molds.
- Use Thieves oil, natural soap and water to clean outdoor surfaces like concrete, wood and siding to stop toxic molds.
- Make your own disinfectant hand wipes for home and travel. (Paper towels, bath gel base, water and Thieves oil.)
- Mix water, vinegar and Thieves oil for internal digestive cleanse.
- Dilute and use for teething, mouth and dental pain.
- Dilute and use for sore throats, swollen glands and tonsils.
- Dilute and apply around ear area (never directly in ear) for infection.
- Rub 3 drops directly on bottom of feet to enhance immune function.
- Use directly on toenail fungus.
- Dilute and dab on pimples, boils and acne.
- Dab on warts, until eliminated.
- Use Thieves Household Cleaner to eliminate and prevent airborne pathogens from home, school, indoor and outdoor work environments.
VALOR — A blend of rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora), blue tansy (Tanacetumannuum), frankincense (Boswellia carteri), and spruce (Picea mariana).
- Chiropractor in a bottle! Use to relieve pain and stress.
- Apply 3-4 drops on feet or spine for improved spinal alignment.
- Use in Raindrop Technique® for general structural balancing.
- Apply topically or diffuse for calming and stress relief.
- Apply topically on temples and back of neck for improved focus and mental clarity.
- Wear as cologne! It’s perfect for men and women.
In addition to the Everyday Oils Essential Oil Collection and its individual oils, I also recommend the following Young Living products:
- Essential 7 Oil Collection
- Raindrop Technique Essential Oil Collection
- Idaho Blue Spruce Essential Oil: This essential oil helps with aches and pains, relaxes the body, brings emotional blockages to the forefront to be released, and connects to the spiritual self. Idaho Blue Spruce contains high percentages of alpha-pinene and limonene.
- Transformation Essential Oil Blend: This essential oil blend has been reformulated to include Idaho Blue Spruce, Palo Santo, and Ocotea essential oils. It emphasizes empowerment, helps release negative belief patterns, reinforces a positive attitude, and supports clarity of emotions.
- Additional recommended products: Clove Essential Oil, Deep Relief Roll-On, Grapefruit Essential Oil, Helichrysum Essential Oil, Melrose Essential Oil Blend, Palo Santo Essential Oil, Raven Essential Oil Blend